Can you imagine your life without USB thumb drives? Most people would say “No”. Though, imagine a world where USB drives didn’t exists: you would have to use CDs or DVDs to transport data, though CD’s and DVD’s are useful in their own sense, they can’t be compared with USB drives. For once thumb drives enable you to quickly transfer gigabytes of data in a matter in minutes if not seconds. Moreover, you can use them over and over again, making them more practical for repetitive use. Finally, USB jump drives are far smaller and compact than your average CD/DVD making them easy to carry in your pocket or purse. Therefore, given these huge advantages, it should make you appreciate your little jump drive even more. However, keep in mind that these handy data storage gizmos are pricey. Therefore, when you purchase one, consider it as an investment and like any investment, you need to take care of it. The following are some tips you can easily learn which will help you maintain and care for your thumb drive:
Protection from moisture and extreme temperatures:
- Avoid storing or placing your flash drive from areas that can get wet or are prone to excessive or severe temperatures.
- Don’t place your device near heaters.
- Avoid placing your device near sinks or in the kitchen.
- Don’t leave it in the car, temperatures in the summer or winter can be excessive, prolonged exposure to harsh weather can seriously damage your data storage device.
Protection from wear and tear:
- Always place the cap on your USB device when not in use, the cap is there for a purpose which is to protect it from potential wear and tear.
- Don’t leave it lying around just anywhere; keep it in a safe place such as in a drawer or a cabinet.
- Keep your device away from the reach of toddlers, if given the opportunity, toddlers will fiddle around with gadgets and may break, bend, or smash your flash drive.
- Contrary to popular belief, defragmenting your flash drive doesn’t make it faster; in fact, it is proven to reduce the life expectancy of the device. Although defragmenting a computer certainly helps increase its processing speeds, the reverse of this fact is true for transportable drives.
Proper ejection of USB thumb drives:
- After you are done using your USB thumb drive its imperative that you properly eject it from your PC, your failure to do so can corrupt your jump drive.
Perhaps data security is the most ignored fact when it comes to safety of private data, sensitive data stored on portable USB drives can be easily be accessed by criminals if you end up losing it. Therefore, it is imperative that you protect it using a third party software engineered lock and secure USB thumb drives. Anyone trying to access your data on your lost portable drive cannot access it without the correct password.